13 facts about Mexico you probably didn’t know.
Here’s a few fun and interesting facts about Mexico that you probably didn’t know…
1. Mexico introduced chocolate to the world. Along with corn and chillies. Many thanks for that Mexico!!
2. Mexico City is slowly sinking. At about 15-20 cm’s a year in some parts. Due to it being built on a lake. And it’s easily visible on some of the old building that are leaning over big time!
3. The little chihuahua dog is named after a Mexican state.
4. Mexican kids receive more gifts on the 6th of January than at christmas. El dia de Reyes, Day of the three kings.
5. Mexico City has the most museums of any city in the world. Over 160.
6. Mexico is home to 33 world heritage sites. 6th highest in the world.
7. Mexico City is the highest and biggest city in North America.
8. Oaxaca is home to the worlds widest tree (biggest tree trunk). El Árbol de Tule, more than 2000 years old and a diameter of 11.62m (38.1 ft).
9. The largest wild cat in North America is the Jaguar. And can be found in Mexico’s southern states.
10. Mexico is the most populated Spanish speaking country in the world.
11. The National University was founded in 1551 and is the oldest university in North America.
12. Mexico has the second most number of catholic citizens behind Brazil.
13. The Chichen Itza Pyramid was named one of the seven wonders of the world.